3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic Locked
18 posts in this topic
Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:14 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)

Public Server 1st / 3rd person toggle view ?

I don't know but I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY hope so. First-person-only is already the standard for private ops, so it makes sense for the public, too. 

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:29 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)
The public server should always be toggle between first and third person. Only private OPs are forced first person.

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:41 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
It'll be changing back to 3rd person soon.
Goodson has decreed it.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:38 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
I have no problems if third person is avaible on the public server. Personally I prefer first person but thats only my cup of tea,

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:06 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (4)
1st person only can be a little jarring for folks new to the game - particularly when trying to figure out stances and the general situational awareness (what's exposed when leaning, what elements provide decent cover, etc) which comes after dropping a few hours into the game - guessing that's one of the main reasons why it's available on the pub (?).

Personally, I don't mind it on the public (granted I prefer 1st person) -  however it's nice to switch back and forth when recording a game to keep things interesting for people watching the video.  

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:46 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Madshepherd wrote:
Do people  playing  in first person , whilst playing alongside people who will knowingly   "toggle " think they are disadvantaged in some way ?

Not 'disadvantaged' - game spoiled.

I'm standing outside a compound wall, steeling myself ready to breach, not knowing whether there is a single enemy or an entire company inside.
Trying to make sure I have a buddy to back me up, thinking about which way to move and look. 

And then the random guy next to me says "don't worry, there's nobody in there, I can see over the wall with this view".

Immersion ruined.
Sense of anticipation destroyed.
All danger removed from the situation.

Same thing happens time after time with hill crests, shell craters, rivers, bunkers, houses, vehicles etc etc etc...

There's only one thing worse, and that is some noob with thermal sights spotting every contact within 2km.

But I understand why some people like it on the public server, so I'm not complaining. 

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:01 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Like Apollo said...

People who use the third person view can kinda ruin your gameplay if you make the decision to restrict yourself to the first person view. There are situations like when you are in a vehicle as a passenger or as a driver and people who are in third person will tell you exactly whats going on outside. Same often happens when people look around corners or over walls and rocks.However I dont blame those people. I know nobody who did not use those tricks himself in hairy situations when your life or the life of others in the game was under danger. It is just natural to try every trick you have at your hand when things are getting tough. I have caught myself multiple times doing those things in those situations and I am one of the people who try to play in first person only when it is possible.

But I think it is okay to the option on the public server. Public servers are usually always about the most common dominator, so I have no problems with it on the public server. Private missions or other events are something else.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:50 am     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
I think we can all agree that nobody here (at least in 3CB) is going to use 3rd person to 'cheat'. The point is - it's a public server and everyone (including myself) likes to use 3rd person now and then at base or when briefing (for example).

I like loading my gear up at the virtual arsenal, pressing that Enter key, and seeing all my glorious equipment and weaponry. I like briefing people at base and seeing everyone around me, making sure that nobody is messing around behind or not listening. I like going into 3rd person when we're waiting around for a chopper to land at a safe LZ or when things are quiet - just to take in the atmosphere. It sounds simple, I know, but I like having the luxury, and I know many others do too.

If we can't rely on others (or teach recruits) to not use 3rd person in a 'cheaty' way (i.e. looking around corners, or looking over walls), then take it away. It's just a shame that, for a public server, we can't take advantage of these nice little features and will forever be bound to private op restrictions (not a bad thing, just a shame and a waste).

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:18 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Howl wrote:
Using thermal imaging is smart - sure it can be abused if you're going to sit on the hill and pick them off from that distance, but there's no harm at all in scouting out a town with thermals before moving in to clear it yourself so you give yourself a tactical advantage. . . there's a reason the military uses this stuff! It's to make the job easier :)

I don't want it 'easier'. This isn't real life where I would want to destroy the enemy without leaving a hardened bunker. This is a game where I WANT to be in danger, to have tense moments where I almost die because I got sneaked up on or didn't see the infantry patrol hiding in the grass until I walk over them. Thermal sights remove almost every element of surprise and danger making the game boring. We can spot the enemy and engage them beyond their effective range. It's an absolute curse of game play on the public server in my experience.

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:48 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Goodson wrote:
I think we can all agree that nobody here (at least in 3CB) is going to use 3rd person to 'cheat'. The point is - it's a public server and everyone (including myself) likes to use 3rd person now and then at base or when briefing (for example).

I like loading my gear up at the virtual arsenal, pressing that Enter key, and seeing all my glorious equipment and weaponry. I like briefing people at base and seeing everyone around me, making sure that nobody is messing around behind or not listening. I like going into 3rd person when we're waiting around for a chopper to land at a safe LZ or when things are quiet - just to take in the atmosphere. It sounds simple, I know, but I like having the luxury, and I know many others do too.

If we can't rely on others (or teach recruits) to not use 3rd person in a 'cheaty' way (i.e. looking around corners, or looking over walls), then take it away. It's just a shame that, for a public server, we can't take advantage of these nice little features and will forever be bound to private op restrictions (not a bad thing, just a shame and a waste).

Nuff said

+ New Topic Locked