Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Nice one, thanks Zach - that would be very useful.

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:43 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Modder
Public Mission Admin
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Server Admin
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Training Team (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (5) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5)
A post on the PWS website today

"In preparation of Sync withSIX's release just being a few days away, we are making sure some external elements are also getting polished and streamlined for a better experience. As part of that we're opening up our own new community forum and have switched to a public Trello issue tracker.

You can find the links and more information in the rest of this blog post."

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:48 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Leadership (1) Operation Medal (2)
It's gonna be interesting to see how PW6 and armaholic do once BI have done there work on improving mod handling for the launchers. I know it will mean that you need to use steam workshop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:46 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (1) Donator (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (2)
Well most of the big, commonly used mods by the mil-sim/tactical realism community don't seem to be on Steam, for whatever reason. So I don't think withSix, Armaholics and Arma3Sync will see any less business than they already have, assuming withSix get their act together quick to win back their old user base.

~Z~

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:21 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Zach wrote:
Well most of the big, commonly used mods by the mil-sim/tactical realism community don't seem to be on Steam, for whatever reason. So I don't think withSix, Armaholics and Arma3Sync will see any less business than they already have, assuming withSix get their act together quick to win back their old user base.

~Z~
The only really big mod that I know that isn't on steam is RHS. TFAR, ACE and CUP (with the soon-to-come terrains) are all  under open-source licenses so its not in their power to restrict uploads to the workshop. So if RHS make the switch to steam workshop (which I hope they will) then I don't think any other mod will be 'big enough' to really stop adoption. The only people that can really screw the new launcher system are BI, if they somehow f**k it up

EDIT: Read up on RHS/steam and it seems to be due to them having a very pessimistic (maybe even plain wrong, but I'm not a lawyer) interpretation of the steam workshop EULA.

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:08 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Operation Medal (2)
If anyone wants to try out Sync withSIX, it's in open Beta now.

You can download the client here: FROM HERE

I have created a 3CB repo on SwS for the current public server modset that you can then grab HERE

Let me know if you want me to change anything, or help anyone out. I have the ear of the dev's of this now, and it's coming along nicely.

~Z~

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:42 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
I can only repeat what I wrote in another thread a few days ago about my impression of the beta from with sync with six. It has some minor and major annoyances. Minor are things like you cant change the window size of the little mini client for example. Major is the entire "user interface" webpage that is supposed to replace PwS in the long run. I think it is a odd choice from the devs to try to make this web based. Especially since they made the decision to push this on google chrome. The whole aspect of it being web-based makes it far more worse if you check the complety unresponsive and unclear design.

In my opinion they would have better put more time in creating a more stable, faster and user friendly light-weight client and not try to press people to use their web-based solution.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:01 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Operation Medal (2)
The small client is intentional, and isn't meant for end user use - it just sits there in the background and makes stuff work. All the user interactions are on the web UI.  They are also developing their own Sync UI interface if you don't want to use a browser. 

The user interface is only now being examined for usability and functionality. Up to this point they have been concentrating on the core behind the scenes mechanics. It's still an early beta remember.  Let me know what you think is unresponsive and unclear and I can feed it back. They have directly asked me for ideas/criticism on the UI usability.

Once you have a collection installed, you can just launch it from the client - that's how I usually join the 3CB server now. Much quicker than waiting for PwS to load and verify the collections.

~Z~

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:31 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Zach... can you create a video walking us through the creation of a collection and how to sync it and launch it ?

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:34 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
I am aware of that.

The problem in my opinion (which makes it my problem) is that a browser based service comes with its own problems and it is raising some questions.

Can I fully (or at all) access my collections etc. when my internet is offline or the website is offline? That is a important question to me since "PwS being down" already showed to have a massively bad impact on our attendance on the public server and during private operations. Beside that I think the design is very unresponsive and they try to push people to use google chrome.

I rather see a light-weight client solution for us.

+ New Topic + Post Reply