7 posts in this topic
Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:13 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Site Admin
Server Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)

Goodbye sthud, welcome Squad Radar

oh just spotted it in the sitrep. looks & sounds great

Quote:
Squad Radar is a spatial awareness indicator that visualizes important entities in your immediate vicinity. Most importantly, these are your team mates, which can be tremendously helpful when trying to keep in formation during CQB for example.
Users of the popular ShackTac Fire Team HUD mod will see many similarities.
Our thanks go to zx64 and Andrew "Dslyecxi" Gluck, who allowed us to use this scripted feature as the primary inspiration for our hard-coded version.
This UI element can be moved in the layout options, wholly disabled or controlled via scripting / description.ext. Tactical Ping (Shift + T by default) lets players point out anything in the environment to their unit members by drawing an alert icon on a certain position. For intricate details on how these features work and can be controlled, please read this splendid forums post by Designer Radko Voda.

https://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00163

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:32 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
Unfortunately, Goodson had made a really nice modification to the SThud to make it compliant with british squad/fireteam structure, and we were in the process of getting ready to implement it when this appeared. Now gonna have to wait to see what to do...

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:48 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (4) Public Regular (1)
he he ...

i was looking for a video to see what it does ... 

... https://youtu.be/Jy68aqB2-l4 .. 

and i think he knows :) maybe even for longer =)

cheers moeses

ps : Montserrat is a Caribbean island. It is an overseas territory of the United Kingdom. Montserrat got its name from Christopher Columbus in 1493.

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:07 am     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
I do like that they're attempting to bring ST HUD into vanilla, but there are some issues with it.

From my post on the BI forums:

Quote:
Very pleased to see the squad radar added. However, there are some issues with it.

Current problems with Squad Radar:
  • Units appear to be listed in order of rank. This is completely impractical for communities where a typical squad consists of 2 fireteams (e.g. a squad of 8 men: 2 fireteams of 4). A better ordering of units would be to order them by placement in the editor, this way the mission editor can explicitly define the ordering of units on the squad radar. Alternatively, order units by team color.
  • Position of units in list is not fixed - when a unit dies/disconnects, the radar re-orders the units displayed in the list. This is very annoying. Squad structure should be maintained.

This shows the ordering issue I mentioned. I placed down 8 men one-by-one in the editor, setting the first 4 men to team red, and the other 4 men to team blue. This is the result:

Ordering is not intuitive. We should instead see team red grouped together in the list, and team blue grouped together.

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:56 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Big question is also how easy it is to customize it on the fly. I always turn the direction indicators off and depending on what role I play I also turn the names off. When I am a pilot or a vehicle crew member I turn the entire HUD off.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:19 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
Sitrep 00163, 5th July

For a while we've wanted to make improvements to your ability to operate as a team effectively under the headerSquad Communications. This has resulted in modest improvements to the vanilla Voice-Over-Network communications and Line Drawing on the 2D map. Two additional features in development are the so-called Squad Radar and Tactical Ping, which you may have already encountered on branches like Dev-Branch. Besides assisting units to play co-operatively, we view these as optional tools to compensate for a decreased spatial awareness when compared to real life conditions. Since we know not everyone appreciates these types of helpers, they are indeed optional and / or linked to difficulty settings for those who accept the I/O limitations of the PC and its peripherals for what they are. Before we expand on these two new features, we do need to let you know that after careful consideration, we have decided to delay them from 1.62. While they show great promise, the features need some additional time for testing and to resolve a few potential UI conflicts for example.

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:01 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Modder
Public Mission Admin
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Server Admin
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Training Team (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (5) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5)
. "Before we expand on these two new features"

That sounds promising.  Hopefully they'll take on board some of the feedback from the dev branch, and improve on the features.

+ New Topic + Post Reply