13 posts in this topic
Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:41 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)

Bringing to your attention

Several options have been discussed.

First is to restrict flying to 3CB members only. It's been done before many moons ago. Downside is that we may discourage a few non-members from playing with us, but personally I think potential recruits need to prove themselves as team players on the ground before getting up in the air. Upside's are numerous.

Second is to create a magic spawn box, again done before on A2. 3CB members (select few or all) are able to go to one of the hangars and immediately spawn an air vehicle. This coupled with working clean up scripts has few downsides, but requires some more scripting work. However one obvious pitfall is that we are not penalised in anyway for losing aircraft, so the danger for careless route planning is removed.

On a couple of side notes relating to pilots:

1. Can I ask pilots not to fly off map to avoid contact please? It seems to have become common place and feels to me a bit like cheating the game.
2. Section Leaders make sure you have a long range radio tuned to CH 5 at all times.
3. Air, if you are unable to raise anyone on air CH4, then try to contact Command on CH5 and ask for an FAC to be provided who is on CH4. If you can't get an FAC, you might as well land and join the infantry unless you're just flying around for fun not providing CAS or Transport.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:51 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
I have a suggestion that I discussed with Apollo in the past. We could introduce certain 'perks' the more someone plays on our server. For example, play on our server for X hours or more and gain access to pilot slots.

At the same time I don't want to put people off. Bit of a tricky one.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:13 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
The problem with whitelisting certain approved players is the amount of time and effort it will take to maintain and the bad feelings it will cause to those denied.
For those reasons, I'm not in favour.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:21 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
BatzBenzer wrote:
And members would have full success from the start?

However, what if the server restart? I played a few times on a german public server using this system and (for me) it did not really worked out good, because I did not spent ages on their server and thus I was not able to assist my squad by taken an AR or AT.. Must be carefully balanced I guess!

Members would have full access from the start. Server restarts would not be an issue - we can use iniDB to track and record persistent data.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:43 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
We could make it so that pubbies can purchase stuff to use in game through donations to 3CB.
50p per extra mag. £2 for a nice hat. 
£25 for a pilot's license.
£40,250 for Valhallen's complete gear loadout.

;)

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:13 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (2)
We need just lay down the rules for pilots in pub.serv. (bit short. I'm bit in hurry)

For scoring system:
BIG NO!
Most disgusting thing that you can put in co-op play in ARMA! My actions aren't measured in scorecount, It's about gaining trust that you are most capable man to do the job. We should actualy ged rid of the scoreboard because we dont need it.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:24 am     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
arf wrote:
We need just lay down the rules for pilots in pub.serv. (bit short. I'm bit in hurry)

For scoring system:
BIG NO!
Most disgusting thing that you can put in co-op play in ARMA! My actions aren't measured in scorecount, It's about gaining trust that you are most capable man to do the job. We should actualy ged rid of the scoreboard because we dont need it.

I don't think anyone was suggesting a scoring system Arf (at least I wasn't). Was has been suggested, however, is the possibility of opening access to pilot slots to players who play on our servers often - not whether they have a high score or not.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:35 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Impakt wrote:
Scoring definitely wouldn't be fair.  I have 10 years and probably 10,000 hours of stick time in an old school combat flight sim, and have almost no interest in CAS (the flight physics are too corny, and so is how easy/cheap it is to take out AI vehicles with modern point and shoot weapons) compared to doing medevac and transport.  How would someone like me earn the right to fly?

I'd also say that flying off map is no good.  Why play the game if you avoid gameplay..

I agree with you on flying in Arma (2 or 3). After so many years in WWII era flight sims (CFS, CFS2, CFS3, MSFS) and particularly the high fidelity flight models of IL-2, Arma's fixed wing modelling just seems like a cheap badly made toy. Not to say that people can't or shouldn't enjoy flying jets in Arma, but it's always felt a disappointment to me.

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:58 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Blacklisting might seem like a fairer option for pubbies, but it still leaves an opening for situations where out pilot's join the server and the entire runway is a mess of ruined aircraft. Whitelist is a much safer option, and less frustrating for our pilots. Having public players play with us for a while and get the hang of how we operate before they have access to our air assets sounds like the best idea to me.

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:29 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
We can do both. A white list for certain Aircraft. And then open up the A3 standard jets for anyone to fly.

So there is always a 3cb ONLY jet or chopper - how about that for a compromise ?

SJ

p.s. to get this work someone needs to maintain the xml file... I can grab the whitelist off the old A2 server (if it works ? Jamie ?)

+ New Topic + Post Reply