1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)

Suggestion - Bikey on public

Not something I think we'll ever do. The public has to be as inclusive as possible.. that's why it's so popular.

I'm not sure that Bikeying has a single effect on FPS... that's more to do with server load, your tinternet speed and whether you are running "-nologs" or not.

What Bikeying does do, is prevent miss-aligned mod versions killing each other and potentially crashing the server - I'm less worried about that for the public, we just re-start it. But Private ops are something that we all look forward to and block our weekends off for. If it falls over during the op it's a disaster for all...

You say 20fps.. what server, where, how does this compare to normal, who are you playing with are they running no-logs ? (believe or not their nologs can affect YOUR fps as they will bog their system down slowing the client connection and lagging the server)

Help me fix the problem as I don't get 20fps until it's been up for AGES and or if there is multiple AO's where idiot are running off ramboing an entire town worth of extra AI...

Bikeying will not solve this problem I assure you.

SJ

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:06 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
yep very slow clients can drag a server down unfortunately

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:01 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
I'm not sure the logic is completely correct here.

Bikey'ing does not compare or prevent differing versions within mods, so these conflicts continue to be a problem if not everyone has used the PwS Repo and kept it up-to-date.
Bikey'ing stops people running non-allowed mods which means you can prevent mod-conflicts or those mods which are known to produce lag or are buggy.

It is known that some mods produce lag (high server load or high bandwidth usage) which can equate to server/client fps drops.
On a non-bikey'd server these mods can be run.
Therefore on a non-bikey'd server fps can suffer.

Conversely on a bikey'd server where the mods have been tested for compatibility and with everyone downloading and running up-to-date versions, fps and server stability are likely to be higher.

When we changed from non-bikey'd private server Op's to bikey'd, there was a massive difference in server and client fps, plus almost total stability. Much of this was because we reduced the mod count and tested everything carefully, reducing the probability of running mods that cause problems.

-nologs is very important for client-side FPS. I'd like to see proof of how not running this command can affect other clients or the server though.

So my conclusion is that there is no point in bikey'ing a server when the mod list on it is huge, as some of those mods will be buggy or conflict and fps/stability will as a result still be poor.
If the mods are restricted to a core set which have been tested and approved I believe public server fps and stability would improve. But probably most client problems are caused by the client's set-up, rather than coming from the server (such as -nologs, or running graphical settings beyond the client hardware's capability).

HOWEVER!
Much of the attraction of the public server is that people can join with any mod set they have running so long as it includes the pre-requisites, such as the Map and Alive.
People can use it as a sandbox to test out new mods and discover cool things they didn't know they were missing ("I can't see your gun/shoes/hat/vehicle" - "because you don't have this mod, it's soooo cool" - "ok I'll get it").
The barrier to getting on the server is lower without bikey'ing (although if this is really the prime argument we should just run vanilla ArmA!).

For these benefits, we lose some stability and open up the possibility of cheating/hacking, but this seems relatively rare thankfully.

So when I go on the public server I expect a different experience to that which we get as 3CB on private Op's. Currently I'm happy with that balance.

Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:31 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Although I can see the benefits of biking a public server for the sake of stability, I can see public numbers rapidly dwindle as a result.

Don't forget, we have the private server for a reason. Weekends and private mid-week events (soon) are reserved for our private server.

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

+ New Topic + Post Reply