1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)

Good command tool - i.e. Jamie's "go there, do that" panel

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22993

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:11 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)
Don't like the whole idea of the tracking of units.

Are we an ACE clan or not?

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:23 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
Looks brilliant to me and quite in keeping with what we can expect in future warfare, given all units are equipped with GPS etc. Importantly only tracks your own side of course.
Probably not far off for the present time either, and seems like it might add interest to the 'commanders' non-combat role, which could otherwise be a bit boring.

Not sure what Cat is referring to about ACE, given ACE is not out for Arma3 yet and in Arma2 we saw friendly units being tracked on our personal GPS's.

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:50 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Apollo wrote:
Looks brilliant to me and quite in keeping with what we can expect in future warfare, given all units are equipped with GPS etc. Importantly only tracks your own side of course.
Probably not far off for the present time either, and seems like it might add interest to the 'commanders' non-combat role, which could otherwise be a bit boring.

Not sure what Cat is referring to about ACE, given ACE is not out for Arma3 yet and in Arma2 we saw friendly units being tracked on our personal GPS's.

ACE brings realism to the game. With how the current ACE system works I think the whole point is to limit the user to a level where tracking and knowing where your teams are much harder than in standard arma.

Reminds me of BF4 style of commanding where you can track all your units and issue commands.

Are we adding stuff that we would later have to remove depending on what ACE limits.

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:40 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Dependence on GPS systems seems to have become derigour in the military from what I've seen from a layman's outside view. I've not heard anything about NATO forces having their GPS jammed or hacked yet, so perhaps in real life it's not been a problem? Would be good to see some reports backing up your concerns over how easy it is.

The march of technology is ever onwards and is being embraced by the military; note the emergence of UAV's, imaging and targeting systems beyond-visual-range and across the IR-visual-UV spectrum, and command/control of troops in the field with live camera feeds and combat-PC's...all real and in use now. The command tool mod seems to be just that - for command - not for the troop in the field. Nothing about it seems unreasonable or even beyond current technology, so I think it looks like a realistic and fun addition.

Although I wasn't that enamoured of the 2035 setting for vanilla Arma3 initially, the more I play it, the more I like it. The game is evolving so rapidly with BIS updates and also Jamie's work on the 3CB server that you can see the diamond emerging rapidly. Adding mods gives us a good representation of current day armed forces and even without ACE it already almost feels better than Arma2 did (to me). There are a few annoying bugs, such as ACRE occasionally messing up, but not game-breakers, and FPS is now hugely improved from just a few weeks ago, such that the game looks gorgeous, far more so than Arma2 ever could.

Are we adding any mods that will be redundant when ACE3 comes out? Yes.
Not too much of a problem to remove -mod="@obsolete_mod" from the launch parameter, or untick it in Arma3Sync though is it?

Just my thoughts on how Arma3 is evolving nicely and why the 3CB A3 server is currently seeing a revival of excited players loving the new game.

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:49 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
I can feel a "Arma 3 just Sucks" conversation coming on here...

Guys, take the Game for what it is.. If you don't like certain mods, no one is forcing you to get them.

If someone wanted to use this kind of mod to build a command style mission where we simulate control of forces using a "virtual map" be my guest, sounds like an interesting way to add value to a command role in what is lets admit a "simulation" at best. Sitting at base watching a blank map listening to radio calls sounds a bit boring to me - so if this adds gameplay value for someone - I'm for it.

I love all the "tactically correct and militarily factual stuff" I think it's why we play the game... but it has to be FUN as well guys surely :) ?

Reality is of course different to playing a game - Arma3 with or without the "Holy Ace Grail".

In Rl you have better spacial awareness, more time to make a command decision, on what is a bigger battlefield (ops could take weeks! not a couple of hours on a Saturday night)

:)

SJ

EDIT : - APOLLO beat me to it :) much better written too ! :P

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:30 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
serjames wrote:
EDIT : - APOLLO beat me to it :) much better written too ! :P

We complement each other nicely.
"You look lovely in that frock SJ" :shock:

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:20 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Benzy wrote:
Remember NATO is not the only technologically advanced force fighting in the world and on a planet where our Prided fleet is now outnumbered 4-1 by country's such as China we are no longer the world power we used to be.

I feel things getting a little controversial here but I just want to say - numbers don't necessarily equal power. It bloody helps, but it doesn't always mean you are the strongest. Britian (and all it's history) is an example of that.

*que British anthem and a patriotic salute*

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:53 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
We seem to be getting a bit off topic here.

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:38 am     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
I gotta admit - I do believe in sticking to the basics. It makes the game more challenging and makes you (as a player) less dependant on gadgets. I haven't even touched the UAVs or remote controlled drones yet in Arma 3 :P

However, at the same time I've always said that the platoon commander role can be a bit boring after some time and would be a lot more interesting if it became more of an RTS role as opposed to just sitting on a hill with a radio and binocs. This is where I like the idea of having some sort of device to monitor the progress of my platoon and help me make better decisions. Although I think marking exact enemy locations is a bit too far, I do like the idea of being able to track each individual unit/fireteam/section via their GPS (with their location updating every 5 seconds and not 100% real-time).

This tablet idea is at the perfect point - it doesn't give you as much information as you would get from watching a live overhead view of the ground via an AC130, but it does give just a little more info about your platoon that you'd get just from being on the ground.

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

+ New Topic + Post Reply