3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply

3CB map, Pilots requests etc..

24 posts in this topic
Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:30 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (2) Mission Designer (1) Public Regular (1)
Operation Medal (3)
As for FAC/Pilots/Mortar it might be usefull to start using 9liners?

For reference something like this would be a great tool.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=28180

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:23 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Kodak Commander (1) Zeus Operations (3)
Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1) Operation Medal (4)
That looks like something it would be good to look into. Anything that makes proper techniques (e.g nineliners) easier to learn and available in game to get everyone onto a standard way of doing things is good in my books.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:03 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
We used it substantially for a period of time a couple of years back when I was one of the two dedicated pilots for a group. Our end feeling was that it was a nice concept for people who didn't really know how to send/receive communications of those types... but that if you didn't know how they worked in the first place, then you shouldn't really be using them anyway.

I'd personally advocate training (for both parties), and a physical notepad.

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:45 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Operation Medal (3)
Agree trainings are definitively a necessary point, but aslong as we have no means to run those this could be a deent alternative for the time being.
Aswell as the more people use those nineliners guidelines the easier it is to run through the specific comms training.

Even if we/I was able to just export those lines have them on second screen would do wonders for communication. Aswell as get more target discipline in with CAS, so Whiskey could actually become a viable thing in OP's again.

On a slightly different path Predator sent me this which is the backstory of MW2, consisting of all radio chatter which sounds just great and would make the immersion factor so much greater in OP's (selected a fixed wing CAS engagement to show)

Skip to 4:00

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:37 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Kodak Commander (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Weapons Operator (1)
I think running extra mods may run the risk over complicating things. Using a pen and paper is probably much simpler.

I've been trying to use 5 lines when playing as FAC on the ops, granted I've only done it a few times, but it seemed to work well.

The "training" needed to make these work (only to a degree obviously) can be as much as a 5 min chat between whisky/fac before an op to make sure they both understand how to use the 5 line. Most of which is fairly self explanatory.

I've been playing as fac a fair bit on the public, and generally pilots tend to pick it up quite quick if they don't know it already. Granted, full training would make our private missions more effective/immersive, but as a stop gap until this is in place, maybe a quick thread or SOP explaining how this should be utilised would suffice?

I would happily try and write one myself if somebody with more experience wants to check through it with me once I've done it etc.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:09 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
We did use something like 9-liners once for CAS, but I think it was more of a 6 or 6 liner catered to work in ArmA 3. The other problem was or is the training effort related to it. You can only use stuff like 9-liners when you have at least two people in the right positions (pilot/gunner and FAC) who did the training. Otherwise it simply does not work. Dedicated pilots are a bit of a contradiction of how the unit works. There are several problems with something like a 3CB Squadron or dedicated/fixed roles in general. These problems are both of a practical and social nature.

• The first thing is that you would need to work out a training that is in line with 3CB standards and you obviously would need somebody who is willing and able to hold the training on a regular basis.
• Dedicated pilots/roles are easy to establish some sort of weird elitism which usually ends up in a toxic atmosphere.
• Another issue is that you kind of have to rely on these people and if they cant attend a mission or simply leave the unit, you end up with a pilot shaped hole.
• Not all missions feature air assets.

When it comes to training in general, I cant really comment on most things, since I am not a training instructor, but we (ncos and above) are discussing the matter of training in general. It is also not forget that specific roles have SOP's connected to them. You can find a list of SOP's here: https://3cbknowhow.wordpress.com/standa ... rocedures/

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:49 am     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
1. Me and Arf wrote this at the start of the year, and I prepared a training map. Repeated prevarication over the course of months has made me give up trying to make it happen, and Arf has taken to offering informal sessions on an ad hoc basis.
2&3. Instead of Dedicated, label them as Qualified. They are people who have decided to put in extra effort to learn a subject to a high standard, and if the pilots and FACs are qualified (ie, trained), then they're able to work together and communicate more easily. If there isn't a qualified pilot/FAC, then it's business as usual.
4. In that case, they are just as able to play as ground units as any other member.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:12 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Kodak Commander (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Weapons Operator (1)
Nick Seafort wrote:
2&3. Instead of Dedicated, label them as Qualified. They are people who have decided to put in extra effort to learn a subject to a high standard, and if the pilots and FACs are qualified (ie, trained), then they're able to work together and communicate more easily. If there isn't a qualified pilot/FAC, then it's business as usual.
4. In that case, they are just as able to play as ground units as any other member.

I think this really is the best solution!

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:59 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Recruitment Team (1) Kodak Commander (1) Zeus Operations (3)
Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1) Operation Medal (4)
Nick Seafort wrote:
1. Me and Arf wrote this at the start of the year, and I prepared a training map. Repeated prevarication over the course of months has made me give up trying to make it happen, and Arf has taken to offering informal sessions on an ad hoc basis.

Sounds good to me

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:03 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Operation Medal (3)
For people interrested in a more indept explaination of the 9liner CAS.

Heres a PDF I'll be using for tonights OP

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php? ... 1286623016

+ New Topic + Post Reply