Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
16 posts in this topic
Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:32 am     Super secret spam barrier
Corporal
Corporal
Other duties:

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Media Team (1)
Ribbon Team (1) Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)

Using NATO rounds

This is an aide memoire for Serjames, as I promised to remind him.

In yesterday's operation, we had the situation where (AFAIK) most people were running out of ammo. The situation was made more frustrating by the fact that we were rolling around in vics brimming with spare rounds. Unfortunately, the M4 magazines are not compatible with the L85 etc. And, for me, switching to M4s that were in the vehicles felt a bit gamey - not sure what the MOD would say about a whole troop "discarding" their weapons.

I guess, we need to either "force" the magazines to be compatible or make the repack also use compatible ammo from non compatible magazines. Annoyingly, I think, Arma automatically drops empty mags - realistic or not? So, only partial mags would be repacked (as in, you couldn't pack a full M4 mag into an empty L85 mag). This would mean much repacking, but there are swings and there are roundabouts.

TANX
Andrew

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:59 am     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Modding Team (1) Mission Designer (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5) Weapons Operator (1)
You can use vanilla UGL rounds in our UGL. Likewise, you can use the vanilla 5.56mm stanags in our weapons.

"Never turn down an ale, who knows if it may be your last."

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:47 am     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
Have you actually tested it in the arsenal? It could be your script. When we were testing our flares for brightness and duration (before BIS changed the lighting system for Apex and broke it all), we test fired lots of vanilla and 3cb flares in game with our L85 UGL to compare them.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:56 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3)
I mean, not to get technical about it, but British 5.56x45 isn't the same as NATO\US SI 5.56. We need "better" rounds to cycle our our SA80's, as using say the Yank M193 ball to our L2A2 Ball. Otherwise, the pressure from the NATO\US rounds won't have enough gas pressure to make the gas parts of the SA80 function correctly, and the bolt won't be cycled correctly, so you'll have a lot more stoppages than often.

However, you can use Vanilla 5.56 on our 5.56 calibre weapons. I've been using them to 3CB's magazines due to the fact that they're a lot lighter and with my arsenal loadout; I can carry 15 Vanilla magazines on my webbing and only 12 3CB. Which is odd, because technically speaking again, our polymer magazines should be a lot lighter and better ergonomic than the steel STANAGs.

That one lad from Essex.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:09 am     Super secret spam barrier
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder
Operations Design Team
Public Mission Admin

Ribbons:
It's not that odd. BIS don't use real world weights for a lot of their gear (think running around with a .50cal weapon in your backpack). We do where we can, hence why ours are heavier.

"Never turn down an ale, who knows if it may be your last."

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:15 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Modder
Public Mission Admin
Advanced Trainer
Recruit Trainer
Server Admin
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Operations Coordinator

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Helpful Techie (1) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Training Team (1) Zeus Operations (2)
Mission Designer (5) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Armour] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (5)
Sanders highlights the problem, we face.

We can make our weapons take RHS ammo, plus others.  The issue is that the configs for the ammo/mags are all slightly different.  So players will then exploit the situation and take the most favourable (but less realistic) version.  This includes all properties including weight, damage, etc.  We have tried to balance ours across the entire range, and they're largely comparable with RHS.  But other mod makers and BIS have different objectives.

I take your point Massey.  For dedicated missions, the designer takes care to ensure ammo types are appropriate.  With Zeus missions, especially mid-week, there is not the time.  So you end up with situations like last night.  

RHS comparability is something we'll look at.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:02 pm     Super secret spam barrier

SS109, M855 and our L2A2 rounds are all the same spec.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:06 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Sanders wrote:
I mean, not to get technical about it, but British 5.56x45 isn't the same as NATO\US SI 5.56. We need "better" rounds to cycle our our SA80's, as using say the Yank M193 ball to our L2A2 Ball. Otherwise, the pressure from the NATO\US rounds won't have enough gas pressure to make the gas parts of the SA80 function correctly, and the bolt won't be cycled correctly, so you'll have a lot more stoppages than often.

It's only really blanks and low pressure rounds (such as frangible and simunition) that cause problems cycling L85

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:27 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Is that the ammo that was kicking about in the green H83's? With the s**t plastic clips? 

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:16 pm     Super secret spam barrier

http://www.warstuff.com/uploaded/2010-7 ... itaria.JPG

it was that plastic stripper clip they came on, where a bit s**t when using with a apeed loader compared to the usual metal ones.   Although I know it wasn't ammuntion made at RG they where stamep with somthing different but stil L designated rounds. 

I cant for the life on me find a proper picture of the H83 but ill keep trying.

+ New Topic + Post Reply