3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply

Sunday Operation. Round 3(?)

36 posts in this topic
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:29 am     Super secret spam barrier

I think what you're saying works perfectly four our usual TvTs with short rounds and that sense of urgency. But from what I've been able to gather from Tushino's videos, they play in a mire structured and carful way.

What let us down in that situation was our situational awareness, moving as a section was fine but we weren't covering each other properly, and we picked a bad position to catch our breath.

The problem I think, is that for TvTs everyone's mental age drops to about 12 when it comes to tactics, and we rush. If we do this against Tushino I think we'll have to add Vaseline to our section supplies.

We should just slow it down and play our way.

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations # 8: If at first you don't succeed... call in an airstrike.
ImageImage

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:48 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Different terrain and different scenarios need different tactics. Beside us being lucky in the Gruppe Adler TvT we did very well with our usual section tactics, but this was a completly different scenario.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:53 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (4) Leadership (1)
Asset Medal [Armour] (1) Operation Medal (4)
Who tagged me at the end of Round 3 out of curiously? I shot my buildings window out to clear the view to the north, only to get shot in the head by what I presume was a friendly after checking spectator lol. 

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:08 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Leadership (1) Operation Medal (2)
I apologise for the lack of leadership on my front. Sore throat and key binding issues meant I felt I was fighting my PC a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:10 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Potominkus wrote:
Arka wrote:
Who tagged me at the end of Round 3 out of curiously? I shot my buildings window out to clear the view to the north, only to get shot in the head by what I presume was a friendly after checking spectator lol. 
Were you BluFor on round 3? I shot someone in the head (But obviously headshotting means missing) before the bullets went flying everywhere and about 3 minutes before my video starts. Could it of been me?

He wa on INDIE and it was one of the guys from his own fireteam. I just cant remember the name. He also apologized a few moments later when we realized it was blue on and not the actual enemy attacking.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:19 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
Potominkus wrote:
Arka wrote:
Were you BluFor on round 3? I shot someone in the head (But obviously headshotting means missing) before the bullets went flying everywhere and about 3 minutes before my video starts. Could it of been me?

Ind defending the VIP. I was on the 2nd story of a 2 story overlooking the western most bridge, facing north out of a partially shuttered window. Judging from the spectator right after, it didn't appear as blufor were in position yet (the Chinook had just landed and picked up the MG south of the town for timing reference). I fired 2 shots out of a northern window with my pistol only to take a shot right back in the head (assuming me firing out the window surprised one of our own guys and they returned fire).

If a Blufor did tag me though - bigs props to that shot at the range you guys were in. 

Edit: Nvm, cheers Clyde lol. 

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:43 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (3) Leadership (1)
Operation Medal (4)
LessThanDave wrote:
I think what you're saying works perfectly four our usual TvTs with short rounds and that sense of urgency. But from what I've been able to gather from Tushino's videos, they play in a mire structured and carful way.

What let us down in that situation was our situational awareness, moving as a section was fine but we weren't covering each other properly, and we picked a bad position to catch our breath.

The problem I think, is that for TvTs everyone's mental age drops to about 12 when it comes to tactics, and we rush. If we do this against Tushino I think we'll have to add Vaseline to our section supplies.

We should just slow it down and play our way.

This. I reckon in the larger TvT we need to make sure we stick to our familiar way of playing, cover off all angles properly, and work with your sections. If we cover each other properly our normal tactics should do the job. Hence why they are used in real life!
It seems to me we rush too much in our in house TvTs (probably because we make fast paced missions, which is no problem, it's just different)

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:44 am     Super secret spam barrier
Sergeant
Sergeant
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Recruitment Team (1) Leadership (1) Asset Medal [Air] (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (4)
WRT MeFirst's post I'm inclined to agree. I think we missed a real opportunity last night to have 1) our upcoming TvT leadership element get some quality command experience in relevant situations and 2) refresh both our TvT planning and tactical skills across everyone.

Typically there was a lot of unnecessary chat that took much of the time, then a coupla minutes of hasty planning crammed in at the end, then everyone just went running for the zone with no real understanding of what the general plan was or specifically what they should be doing. I don't know what the setup time for the Tushino will be, but we definitely need to get on top of the planning and briefing aspect of it to have a reasonable chance.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:51 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Operations Coordinator
Operations Design Team
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder

Ribbons:
With the increased time limit and lack of any real deadline for our upcoming Op, this should hopefully allow for a lot more of our usual slow and steady play style :). Additionally with 60 guys each side, you're more inclined to maneuver full sections without the fear that one wiped section will cost the game... rather than our usual battle buddy teams going out on suicide flanking runs and hoping to get a decent kill ratio before they are inevitably out-gunned. 

Edit: @Nick - hopefully wont be the case next Sunday :P. We've got a fairly solid command element in place with all the SL/ FTL's on the same page. Hopefully we can run a tighter ship and treat it like a TvT rather than the PvP's these have a tendency to turn into. E.g. Every man for themselves once the first shots are fired lol.  

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:54 am     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Operations Design Team

Ribbons:
Service Medal (6) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Zeus Operations (2) Mission Designer (3) Leadership (1)
Operation Medal (4)
Yeah, that's it really. Given the larger time frame and longer objective, we just need to make sure we plan properly. As MeFirst said, if the situation calls for us to split in to smaller groups, so be it, as long as we keep unit cohesion, and most importantly - everyone knows what they're meant to be doing

TLS_Cud

+ New Topic + Post Reply