3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
7 posts in this topic
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:29 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Streaming Platform Discussion

We need to be organised as early as possible for this one for maximum coverage.

Does anyone use twitch as there is a much bigger userbase there?

It would be good if someone can do a stream there too.

Note from Arka: Streaming discussion posts from 'Operation Phoenix - 15th MEU & 3CB: Stream & Media Collection' moved here as to keep the original thread relevant to its indented purpose.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:53 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
The reason for this is so you guys can be informed about the streams.

To be fair nobody really gives a f**k about "normal" ArmA 3 on Twitch. It is a very different crowd and they are mostly interested in Mods like Exile and Altis Life. Youtube Gaming also has the benefit that we have our content all in one account and pretty much ready for our youtube channel. I also feel that there is way less "competition" there for us and you often get some people who are unrelated to us watching the stream at one point. Streaming on multiple platforms also has the disadvantage you split your viewerbase.

There is no war to end all wars.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:00 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Media Man (2) Donator (1)
ArmA 3 yes. ArmA 3 Milsim/relaxed realism? No.

Most viewers we have in our current streams are the result of advertisement and in that case the platform doesnt really matter if it is easy to use and nice to watch. The first streams we did were on Twitch by the way. Reason was that Youtube Gaming wasnt avaible in germany at the time for me. I can tell you that in the last 4-6 weeks we had more "unrelated" viewers on youtube gaming as on twitch. The main reason is that the competition is smaller and when we are streaming we are on the front page when it comes to anything thats related to ArmA.

Comparisons to ArmA Finnland also dont work because ArmA Finnland is pretty much Finnland playing ArmA with the exeption of Whiplash and Arf.

A few years ago I did livestreaming on a relatively popular streaming channel that usually had 200-400 viewers at the time for most streams that were going on and I think I have some experience in that matter. I can tell you that especially the crowd on twitch has little to no interest watching normal sunday operations or ArmA 3 milsim in general. There is too little going on for them on the screen and so the majority of the viewers are somewhat related because you did advertisement on ArmA 3 forums, Twitter etc. The midweek operations are relatively good to stream because they are shorter in lenght and they are usually also very compact when it comes to gameplay. You will rarely watch somebody walking in the woods for 30 minutes without anything going to happen. That is a reason why I would personally not stream usual sunday operations with the exeption of special events like this sunday.

From the technical perspective Youtube Gaming is right now also a better platform. Especially during peak times twitch can get "hickups" especially when you are not a "premium user" there. Beside that we have that content all in one channel and the same goes for subscriptions, comments etc. Another good thing is that very often the viewers there have their own channels and so you also have a community & social media aspect there.

Beside that streaming is a nice "gimmick" but nothing thats too important. If people want to become the next big thing on twitch, hitbox or youtube gaming, they should do it somewhere else and my advice is to play a different game or game mode. :)

Beside that this thread is not meant for discussions about what, how and where members of the 3CB decide to livestream content.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:54 am     Super secret spam barrier

It is crazy not to take advantage of a wider audience, There is no good reason not to stream on both Youtube and Twitch.

'Because Mefirst says so' is not good enough.

Bigger nets catch more fish, end of.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:59 am     Super secret spam barrier

Robbie wrote:
It is crazy not to take advantage of a wider audience, There is no good reason not to stream on both Youtube and Twitch.

'Because Mefirst says so' is not good enough.

Bigger nets catch more fish, end of.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:17 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (3)
i can put a stream out through twitch but it all depends on where i am ie at home or on base

"Daddy dont hit mummy, Daddy dont hit mummy"

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:18 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Let's draw this to a close. Lots of opinions out there. The great thing about 3CB is that we don't stop anyone from making valid contributions, but we all need to have the maturity to respect the hard work that people do and the decisions that are made. Regardless of whether we personally agree with them. Mefirst volunteered to take on the YouTube channel and has, with the support of the media team, done a great job in developing it and getting it into the state it is. If someone else wants to take ownership of the twitch side of streaming, then by all means contact the CO's and put a plan together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ New Topic + Post Reply