5 posts in this topic
Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:04 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)

Setting up a Dedicated Server on your PC

To all 3CB mission makers:

Thanks to research by FrostyFrench, here is how to set-up a dedicated ArmA 3 Server on your PC that you can use for testing prior to uploading to the 3CB private server for Op's.

Not only can you test on a dedicated server platform during development, but you will probably see improved fps because the server and client are running in separate processes.
It's easy and free and you do NOT need an extra license to run the dedicated server.

Follow this step-by-step guide:

1. Download the Arma 3 Server
In Steam, go to Library > Tools
Right click 'Arma 3 Server', select Install Game, installation path:
..\SteamApps\common\

After installation you have folders that look like this:
..\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\              <---your main game folder
..\SteamApps\common\Arma 3 Server\  <---new server folder

2. Download Tophe's Arma Dedicated Server Tool (TADST)

From Armaholic.com: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11655
Unzip the download. 

Place the two files (TADST.exe and TADST_readme.txt) in the root of your Arma 3 game folder:
..\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\

Note: intuitively you might expect this dedicated server tool to go in the Server folder, but no, it does go in the 'game' folder as described above.

3. Run TADST to prepare your server
Server File: browse to the arma3server.exe   (..\SteamApps\common\Arma 3 Server\)

DETAILS tab
Server Name:          call it what you want e.g. "[3CB] Apollo_Dedi"
Password:                server will appear on the public list, so protect it
Admin Password:    set an in-game admin password

MISSIONS tab
Select, by double-clicking, a mission (pbo file) for the server to run.
Note 1: TADST appears to only list and select pbo files from ..\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\MpMissions\
Note 2: Create this pbo file automatically in the right place: in the Arma Editor, click "Save As" and export to Multiplayer Missions

MODS tab
Select, by double-clicking, all the server-side mods required by your mission.

If using ACRE, use the Up/Down arrow buttons to move the following mods to this order:
@CBA_A3
@JayArma3Lib
@ACRE

DIFFICULTY tab
Choose between the basic Recruit/Regular/Veteran/Expert settings, modify detail settings as required.
SAVE the profile

4. Launch Server
Click the LAUNCH button in TADST.
After the Arma 3 splash-screen you get a small "Arma 3 Console" window logging the server start time and other events.

5. Join Server
Run your Arma 3 client, go to Multiplayer, filter on the name of your new server, join using the password.

6. Controlling the server from the client
Open chat (/)
Type the following commands:
#login <admin password>  - logs you in as admin, stops the auto countdown at the multiplayer lobby
#missions                             - takes you to an admin screen where you can change mission, difficulty etc.

Further commands: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Multiplayer_Server_Commands

7. Closing the Server
Close the Arma 3 Console window.

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:20 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)
Nice guide here Apollo, well done for making this information public

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:38 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Apollo wrote:
Thanks to research by FrostyFrench, here is how to set-up a dedicated ArmA 3 Server on your PC that you can use for testing prior to uploading to the 3CB private server for Op's.

Not only can you test on a dedicated server platform during development (etc. etc.)

Mike this guide is intended for mission makers/scripters/modders who wish to frequently test their creations in a dedicated server environment (i.e. using the arma3server.exe). In doing so, creators won't require access to our own server's FTP/control panel for testing as they can (using this guide) do this themselves. Network capabilities are not a concern ;)

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
3CB ops in a nutshell.

PC Specs

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:52 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Frag of the match (1) Operation Medal (1)
True Mike, but as Goodson says, the intent here was to show how to set-up for testing only, not as a full-on player server. 3-4 players are generally enough to test most scenarios relating to JIP.

However, following your point and being scientifically minded, I'd like to see some numbers on bandwidth usage for Arma's dedicated server.
I found someone saying they regularly ran a 64 slot mission which used 16Mbps (out) and 4.8Mbps (in) when full.

If it's roughly linear*, that's 0.25Mps (out) and 0.075Mbps (in) per connected player.

My standard BT Infinity connection is 9.4Mps (upload) and 37.5Mps (download), so on that simplified basis I could run a 37 slot server based on the limiting upload bandwidth. Not too shabby!

More data required I think.

* no idea on 'overhead',
* intuitively 'linear' may not be right, may scale more in line with Fibonacci numbers?

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:20 pm     Super secret spam barrier
Marine
Marine
Other duties:
Modder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1) Modding Team (1)
Leadership (1) Operation Medal (2)
Hey guys, I've been having an issue with this, I have managed to run a Dedi with a test mission on Altis that wasn't running any mods and it would go live on the internet.  But if I try and run a mission that I am making with Depro and Ninja this then goes to the LAN tab on the server screen.  I have no idea what is going wrong.

+ New Topic + Post Reply