3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
5 posts in this topic
Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:27 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Service Medal (5) Donator (1)

Headsets : Studio vs Standard

I use the Sennheiser HD595 with a Antlion Modmic which turns it into a headset with an easy magnetic base. That way you get the great headphone sound with a nice microphone. Also I have the Xonar soundcard as well.

Pretty neat little thing, I waited for years before I found exactly what I was looking for. Best invention ever.

I've had a few gaming headsets before and they never matched up to a quality pair of headphones. Sound quality is limited and comfort is important when gaming for a lengthy time. I'd never go back. Had these for years. Also don't buy a desk mic. Some people sound fine with them but mostly they sound tinny when in an open room. If your mouth isn't close enough you get a crap input sound quality. Clip on mics are fine I guess but with the wires and annoyance of clipping it on every time why not just get something that works exactly like a headset does. Flip up and flip down.

My friend had one of these which was about £160 headset from Sennheiser PC350. The sound quality was crap imo. It was all muffled and quiet. I think I remember he sent them back because they broke so easy lol. Although these were closed ones not open which I dislike anyway. I think yours will be closed as well by the looks of it.

Maybe others have had better experiences with headsets than I have but I listen to a lot of music and play games so I wanted a decent pair of headphones that would deliver, I haven't found a headset yet that gives the same quality in sound.

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:46 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Great sound if you ask me.

With a decent soundcard like you've got, I like to listen to music and play games using the dolby sound setting on setting two. I think it really helps to switch between channel settings as well 2 for music and 8 for gaming. You have to play around till you find the settings that suit you.

As for gaming you'd be surprised how well a good pair of stereo headphones can stand compared to that 5.1 stuff. Playing games that have great sound quality like Battlefield/Bad Company, Counter-Strike and hopefully Arma 3 once ACSE gets released. I've looked over my shoulder plenty of times thinking something behind me is making noise. It's a great sound experience.

I would highly recommend the Senneheisers HD5xx series as an affordable high end headphones. It might seem like a lot going from £60 headsets but pay the extra and you'll benefit. Best advise is don't rush buying some new ones. Take your time and do your research. Like i said I've had mine for years so I've never looked at the current market. So shop around, ask others what they use and buy quality.

Edit: as for the headphones you listed. Get whatever you think is best for what use will use it for. Overall look  for reviews on 1. Comfort, before sound imo because they could epic but they are uncomfortable to wear or don't suit your ears. 2. Sound quality, check what people say about overall quality it needs to be balanced. Also don't listen to audiophiles too much because they will always find stuff to whine about unless its a £300+ headphones. 3. Price. Spend the extra and you'll see/feel the difference. Don't go buy the most expensive because it might not be what you want. But don't waste money on crap to save £20. Buy a name and with good balanced reviews on build and sound quality. I went through countless cheap headsets within about a year. I've had mine now for over 4-5 years got them at the steal price of £110. So just don't rush and regret.

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:58 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
They look like something out of some sci-fi movie lol.

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:15 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Cost me $40.84 USD which is about £26. I don't think I got charged any customs. It's only a small, recyclable package about the size of a really small pencil case.

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:39 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
I use Sony MDR7506 headphones with an ant lion stick on too. Recommended. Sj

+ New Topic + Post Reply