3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
3 posts in this topic
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:34 am     Super secret spam barrier

Ribbons:
Donator (1)

27" Monitors 2560 x 1440

Hey! If your willing to spend a good chunk extra, there's a 144Hz 1440p screen, the ROG Swift from Asus. The one that's already out is 27", 1440p, 144Hz, GSYNC with a TN panel.
They are also about to release a 27",1440p, 120Hz, No GSYNC, IPS-panel monitor and a 27", 4K, 60Hz, GSYNC, IPS-Panel monitor. (All under the ROG Swift brand).

I personally run a cheaper ASUS monitor, the 27",1440p,60Hz, No-Gsync, IPS-panel PB278Q. Goodson has the some one and we're both happy with it, however I don't think either of us has a >60Hz monitor to compare it to.
The ASUS PB278Q has apparently recently received a slight upgrade (better quality implementation of IPS), in the form of the ASUS PB278QR, however  I don't think reviews for that are out yet, so caveat emptor.

Performance wise, I've noticed that games tend to generally fall into three categories: 
1.) Indie games, Unity engine, decent 'current-gen' ports, 'cross-platform' releases, etc - these tend to run at well above 100fps on a GTX770 and don't really care about the 1080/1440 difference.
2.) Anything based on CryEngine, including the derivative FarCry and other 'open-world' (compared to Arma, FarCry is a linear game xD) games. - these really push your machine to its limits and going from 1080/1440 means a drop in fps or accepting a drop in postprocessing.
3.) Bad ports, badly optimized games: AssCreed: Unity, ArmA3, etc - these games run like crap pretty much no matter what you do. You might see slightly worse performance with 1440p, but then again you might also notice slightly worse performance when there is a full moon, since these games run slowly because of bad coding voodoo. Triple titans *might* give you 10fps more on average, but you'll probably still see the game grind down to 5fps when the server is busy spawning things in.

So for most games out there, 1080/1440 doesn't make a significant difference. And if you really need that performance, most 1440p monitors come with hardware scalars that can take a 1080p input and scale it up semi-decently.

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:49 am     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
At 27" you definitely want to be running at 2560x1440. Anything lower and you'd visibly be able to see individual pixels (at regular PC gaming viewing distance).

PPI (Pixels Per Inch, not mis-sold premiums) is what's important. You can calculate your PPI using this site:
PPI Calculator

2560x1440 @ 27" = 109 PPI
1920x1080 @ 27" = 82 PPI

That's a pretty big difference.

In terms of Hz, I've never had anything above a 60Hz monitor so I can't really comment. But to be honest, if Arma is your main game, you're never going to be taking advantage of 120Hz+ in MP anyway (no matter how many GPUs you have).

I use this monitor:
Asus PB278QR

And play Arma (+all other games) at 1440p. It's beautiful. It's spoiled 1080p for me, I can never go back.

With a GTX 970 (single card) @ 1440p, Arma runs with high frames. To give you an idea - in SP the average FPS is probably ~50+, with the max being ~60+. MP is a different story since it's bottlenecked by the server.

In my opinion, 1440p is the perfect middle-point between 1080p and 4k. 1080p @ 27" is starting look a bit outdated, while 4k at decent frames is currently out of reach even for the best GPUs.

If you really want higher Hz, you could always go for the Asus ROG Swift (although it's a little pricey). It's 1440p @ 144Hz:
Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q

Only downside of the Swift is that it doesn't use an IPS panel, but if you don't really care too much about having perfect colour reproduction then it's certainly a good choice. G-Sync is also a really nice feature of the Swift.

Also, the extra desktop space that you gain (from 1440p) is really nice. Browsing websites and editing photos is much nicer, you just have so much more room :)

So to sum up:

- Yes I do have one (I think Alexander also has one as well).

- Arma gameplay experience at 1440p is fantastic.

- Yes you can easily run off of one GPU (I use a GTX 970).

- 60Hz will not be an issue for Arma, but you may notice a difference for other games that you can run at >60fps. You might also want to wait for the MG279Q (27" 1440p IPS @ 120Hz).

- Extra desktop screen space gained is worth it

Edit: Alex beat me to it :P

Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:44 am     Super secret spam barrier
Major
Major
Other duties:
Site Admin
Game Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7)
Good choice Madshepherd, you won't regret it ;)

Make sure they send you the correct model, and not the slightly older PB278Q (no R at the end). Check the sticker on the side of the box when you get it, just in case.

+ New Topic + Post Reply