3 Commando Brigade

Realism. Tactics. Fun.

+ New Topic + Post Reply
19 posts in this topic
Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:30 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Performance Expectations

Hi guys,

As i'm still fairly new to the whole build a PC thing i'm trying to judge where my rig stands in the grand scheme of things, and what sort of performance you would expect from it when it comes to ARMA in particular.

Current spec

i5 4690k 3.4 GHz OC'd to 4.0GHz
Asus r9 270x
Samsung 840 series SSD - OS, ARMA and Mods installed here
16gb DDR3 @ 1333mHz
ASRock Z97 Anniversary MOBO
Windows 8.1

I'm getting what feels like a fairly large swing with fps ranging from as high as 40-45 down to 20-25 at times with no obvious cause, no particularly intense action, smoke etc.

I'm also aware my internet connection isn't the best, avg around 10mbps, but i'm not sure how much of an impact this would have on performance.

So i guess my overall question would be, do you think fps/performance reflects the setup or do the numbers not add up?

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:38 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Service Medal (7) Media Man (2) Donator (1)
Modding Team (1) Frag of the match (1) Leadership (1)
Public Regular (1) Operation Medal (3)
Tb totally honest - for arma you have a great rig. You won't see significant gains from anything else till they either release 6 Ghz cores or get dx 12 to make a difference.

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:14 pm     Super secret spam barrier

That's good to hear. Maybe I'm expecting too much ha! I'll try and tweak my in game settings and see if i can squeeze out a few more fps

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations # 8: If at first you don't succeed... call in an airstrike.
ImageImage

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:04 am     Super secret spam barrier

Not sure how to oc ram tbh. The only reason I oc'd the cpu without issue is my new mobo has oc presets built in

Murphy's Law of Combat Operations # 8: If at first you don't succeed... call in an airstrike.
ImageImage

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:59 am     Super secret spam barrier

The cooler is a CoolerMaster Seidon120v. Its probably the cheapest water cooler available. Did a 15 minute torture test and temps peak at 80c before cooling kicks in. Then settles around 70 -75c. With a thermal test its consistent at 68-70c. Max temp after a couple of hours of arma last night was 42c. My gpu is oc'd to 2.4ghz but its not entirely stable. Will make a few tweaks and benchmark tonight

ImageImage

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:05 am     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Don't both with gpu oc'ing for arma... minimal gains for the potential heat and stability headaches it can cause... focus on cpu for arma... that's what you need

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:36 am     Super secret spam barrier

I'm wary to push the cpu any further. Its my first OC and I'm conscious temps have already hit 80c. From what I've read this isn't ideal already?

ImageImage

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:59 am     Super secret spam barrier

I've also just noticed my numerical dyslexia has kicked in. Cpu is 4670k not 4690. Not sure how much difference this makes

ImageImage

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:46 pm     Super secret spam barrier

Bit of an update, i did some more reading into the built in OC feature of my BIOS and apparently, although these settings do everything you need to do to maintain a certain clock speed, apparently they over cook the CPU voltage to help ensure stability. Now i know my system will safely OC to 4.0ghz I've been able to edit the settings manually, reduce the voltages slightly and get the CPU up to 4.2 ghz (well 4.190 according to CPU-Z) Temps are steady at 40-45c while in game so I'm pretty happy with that. I'm getting around 25-35 fps on the current mission, but it's quite a big a busy map so again pretty happy there.

ImageImage

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:50 pm     Super secret spam barrier
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Other duties:
Game Admin
Site Admin
Modder
Founder

Ribbons:
Nice o n e !

You've done the right thing to move to a manual oc.

+ New Topic + Post Reply